Iodine Aqua comes from Soshartyan, a small village set in the beautiful Western Carpathian Mountains. In fact the village name was changed from Hartyan to Soshartyan (salty Hartyan) in the 16th century, when the salty iodine well was first discovered. The iodine water motif can be found in the municipality’s coat of arms.
The well was first mentioned in written sources in 1710.
In 1763 Maria Theresa, Austrian Empress and Hungarian Queen ordered the analysis and examination of the Danubian Monarchy’s waters when the well was already listed in this first domestic water analysis.
In 1786 Johann Matthias Korabinsky mentioned, that instead of salt, people were putting Iodine Aqua into their dough for bread making (Geographisch historisches und Produkten Lexikon von Ungarn, Pressburg 1786)
Cattle, which drank Iodine Aqua, seemingly became bigger, stronger, and healthier, so people in the region brought their animals to drink what soon became called “Mother Nature’s Gift”.